Please criticize the Calgary Herald and Calgary Sun for caving to an Israel lobby group and removing reference in this article to the FACT that the Gaza Strip is still occupied by Israel.
Bad coverage - Media outlet to be criticized
A CJPME Media Researcher has launched a media alert for the following article. Please submit a quick response to the media, even if it’s just a sentence or two:
Title of Piece: Scott Strasser and Lorne Motley - Editor In Chief: "Pro-Palestine protesters converge in downtown Calgary."
Media Outlet: Calgary Herald and Calgary Sun
Click here to access the piece on-line
Comments of the CJPME Media Researcher:
(Note: Please do not copy and paste the material below as the content to your message to the media - put all comments in your own words):
Please criticize the Calgary Herald and Calgary Sun for caving to an Israel lobby group and removing reference in this article to the FACT that the Gaza Strip is still occupied by Israel. What makes Israeli violation of Palestinian rights to food, water, and medical access in Gaza such a grave violation of law is the FACT that Israel has legal responsibilities under International Humanitarian Law as Gaza’s occupying power. The airbrushing of a TRUE fact from the Herald/Sun story serves to hide the crime of collective punishment now unfolding before the eyes of the world.
Note: Your email will be sent to the letters editor of each publication for potential publication to their letters page. Please shoot for 150 words or less for your letter.
In your letter, you can make reference to one or two of the points below (as always, put your letter/email in your own words; do not copy and paste any of the points below verbatim):
- The United Nations, through its Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), affirms that Gaza is occupied by Israel.
- The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), the group named and empowered by the Fourth Geneva Convention to deal with questions of occupation, affirms that Gaza is occupied by Israel.
- This is why Israel needs to allow food, water, and medical access to Gaza, and Canadian readers have a right to know this.
- Serious Canadian news organizations (CTV, the Globe and Mail) have this week clearly reported the TRUE FACT that Gaza is occupied by Israel.
- For the Calgary Herald and Calgary Sun (both under the same editors) to remove true facts from their reporting is a blow to their credibility.
- Feel free to sample other details from this CJPME background essay, but BE SURE TO PUT IT IN YOUR OWN WORDS:
Please click here to launch an email in which you can draft a response to this media coverage. If this link does not work for you, simply open an email in your email program, address it to [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], and draft and send your email.
If you have any problems, please email [email protected].
Thank you very much. Every response makes a difference.