We expect that extreme pro-Israel individuals will attack the Toronto Star for its exploration of Palestinian perspectives through this article. So a strong response in support of the Toronto Star’s Richie Assaly is important.
A CJPME Media Researcher has launched a media alert for the following article. Please submit a quick response to the media, even if it’s just a sentence or two:
Title of Piece: Richie Assaly: "Toronto Palestine Film Festival: How a scrappy, student-led film fest evolved into a broad-ranging celebration of Palestinian culture"
Media Outlet: Toronto Star
Click here to access the piece on-line
Comments of the CJPME Media Researcher:
(Note: Please do not copy and paste the material below as the content to your message to the media - put all comments in your own words):
Please thank the Toronto Star for its excellent article on the Toronto Palestine Film Festival (TPFF), an annual event which is receiving more and more well-deserved recognition!
We expect that extreme pro-Israel individuals will attack the Toronto Star for its exploration of Palestinian perspectives through this article. So a strong response in support of the Toronto Star’s Richie Assaly is important. Some of the praiseworthy items about the article include:
- The discussion of the TPFF in the Star provided a meaningful way to celebrate Palestinian art and culture in Canada.
- The article not only covered the festival but also provided good context in describing the Nakba, and ongoing violence against Palestinians.
- The article gave ample space to articulate and informed Palestinians, both filmmakers and festival organizers
- The article gave space to diaspora Palestinians to talk about their lived experiences
- The article gave voice to Palestinians without the "obligatory" Israeli counterpoint perspective
Finally, the Toronto Star should be thanked for including Dania Majid’s comments about Israeli settler colonialism and apartheid.
Please click here to launch an email in which you can draft a response to this media coverage. If this link does not work for you, simply open an email in your email program, address it to [email protected], [email protected], and draft and send your email.
If you have any problems, please email [email protected].
Thank you very much. Every response makes a difference.