On July 3, 2023, CJPME’s Vice President Michael Bueckert was interviewed for a segment on CTV National News about Israel’s attack on Jenin. Earlier that day, Israel launched airstrikes, a military invasion, and a siege on the Jenin refugee camp. By the end of the invasion late on July 5, at least 12 Palestinians were killed, including 4 children, and 140 injured.
Bueckert told CTV National News that Israel was escalating its violence against the Palestinian people, and was quoted: “There are signs that, perhaps, Israel’s government — which is led by a coalition of far-right political parties — is really looking to ratchet things up.”
However, the segment inaccurately said that CJPME was calling for “calm.” In the interview, Bueckert explained that this was not a situation in which both sides were equally to blame for the violence. Rather, CJPME was calling for Israel as the occupying power to deescalate its illegal and unprovoked assault on refugees in Jenin. This point did not make it into the broadcast.
CJPME’s @mbueckert spoke to CTV National News about how Israel’s far-right regime is escalating its violence against Palestinians. We are not calling for a neutral ‘calm,’ but for Israel as the occupying power to deescalate its illegal & unprovoked assault on refugees in Jenin. pic.twitter.com/W0dnzqzaiC— Canadians for Justice and Peace in the Middle East (@CJPME) July 4, 2023